Standard ML of New Jersey
Standard ML of New Jersey (abbreviated SML/NJ) is a compiler for the Standard ML '97 programming language with associated libraries, tools, and documentation. SML/NJ is free, open source software.
DownloadsThe current release is 110.84. Previous versions are also available through our release history page. A history of the changes to the system is also available.
Subversion accessOur master source repository is kept on a FusionForge server (a successor to GForge) under Subversion control. We provide anonymous read-only access to the repository, so anyone can download a snapshot of the most recent sources at any time. Instructions are here.
- [09/03/18] Version 110.84 is released. See the README for details.
- [06/01/18] Version 110.83 is released. See the README for details.
- [10/26/17] The Microsoft Windows MSI installer for 110.82 is now available.
- [10/16/17] Version 110.82 is released. See the README for details. Note: We are currently working on getting our distribution scripts to work properly on Windows 10, so we do not have a Windows MSI file for 110.82 at this time.
- [05/01/17] Version 110.81 is released. See the README for details.
- [08/26/16] Updated the runtime.tgz file in the 110.80 release to address an issue with building from source on some versions of Mac OS X.
- [08/19/16] Version 110.80 is released. See the README for details.
- [10/08/15] We have moved the SML/NJ Developer's mailing list to a mail server at the University of Chicago. We also propogated the list of subscribers from SourceForge to the new list. The new name of the list is . (To avoid receiving too much spam we do not show the name of the mailing list in clear text and render it as a PNG image instead.)
- [10/04/15] Version 110.79 is released. See the README for details.
- Older news
- Information on downloading and installing the SML/NJ system and related software.
- A signed installer for macOS is available (smlnj-x86-110.84.pkg).
- A Windows msi installer for Windows 7+ is available (smlnj-110.84.msi).
Documentation and Literature
- SML/NJ User's Guide
- SML'97 Basis Library
- SML/NJ FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- SML'97 Conversion Guide
- Top Level Environment Comparison
- Special features of SML/NJ
- Compilation Manager (CM)
- ML Language Processing Tools (ml-ulex and ml-antl)
- Concurrent ML
- SML/NJ-C foreign function interface
- Compiler notes
- Bugs can be reported online using our PHP bug form.
- You can also submit bug reports by email to using the bug report form.
- A legacy record of known bugs and the bug history for SML/NJ are available via the bugs web page.
- Recent submissions should appear in the GForge tracker .
- Pointers to programming resources (libraries, tools, example code), projects using SML/NJ, other SML implementations, related compiler research work, and miscellaneous SML links. The programming resources links will soon move to a separate page of their own.
- Picture of current cast of people involved in the project.
This project is based upon work supported in part by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. CNS-0454136.
Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation (NSF).
Send comments to
Copyright © 2004-2018, SML/NJ Fellowship.